31 July 2011

Gerunds and Prepositions


Gerunds and Prepositions

A gerund is a noun formed by adding “ing” to a verb.

Use the gerund
  1. After prepositions (before, after, for, in at, of, etc).
!Verbs followed by the preposition TO:
Example: I’m looking forward to visiting you in July.

  1. After certain verbs (enjoy, admit, avoid, finish, etc.).
Example: I avoided looking into his eyes.

  1. As the subject of a sentence.
Example: Swimming is very good for you.
  

Use the infinitive
  1. After some verbs (agree, attempt, refuse, promise, etc.).
Example: I hope to see you soon.
  1. After some verbs + object (remind, allow, invite, order, etc.).
I persuaded him to go.
  1. After some adjectives (easy, difficult, happy, etc.).
It is too difficult to explain.
  1. To express purpose.
Example: I came here to study English.

Use either[1]
After some verbs
  1. Continue, Start, Begin
The infinitive is more commonly used after these words, but either the gerund or the infinitive can be used without a change in meaning.
Examples: I started to talk.
                  I started talking.
  1. Love, Like, Prefer, Hate
If followed by a gerund the sentence is general. Using an infinitive creates a more specific sentence.
Examples: I like reading.
                  I like to read romance novels.
  1. Remember, Forget
The infinitive suggests the actions must still be done while the gerund refers to things that happened in the past.
Examples: I must remember to wash my shoes.
                 She won’t forget meeting her favorite actor.
  1. Try
The infinitive expresses what you want to do versus the gerund, which expresses how you want to do it.
Examples: I am trying to see the text on the page.
                  I tried stealing the money so I could be rich.


[1] http://www.mujerpalabra.net/secundaria/pages/asignaturas/english/verbs_4/gerund_infinitive.PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

বালিয়া মসজিদ জ্বীনের মসজিদ  স্থানীয়ভাবে এবং লোকমুখে জ্বীনের মসজিদ নামে পরিচিত এ মসজিদটির প্রকৃত নাম ‘বালিয়া মসজিদ’। জমিদার মেহের বকস চৌধুরী ...