16 June 2011

Preposition: 03

Advanced Grammar: Dependent Prepositions (2)
For each sentence, choose the best word or phrase to complete the gap from the choices below.
  1. I have no sympathy   people who are sent to prison for stealing. No matter how poor they are, they should find an honest way to make a living.
  2. If you are really serious   taking the IELTS exam, you’re going to need to do at least two pieces of written homework each week.
  3. Over the years, he gradually became impervious   his wife’s comments about his chosen profession and in the end she stopped complaining.
  4. One notable absence   the list of candidates for Seven Wonders of the World was the New York skyline because judges didn’t consider it to be a single structure.
  5. Her rude comments at the meeting are indicative   her whole attitude to the job and her co-workers.
  6. Professor Dominic Harris is a world-renowned authority   the use of the indefinite article in Shakespeare’s plays.
  7. Europe and the United States are still in dispute   how much each country should pay towards the upkeep of the International Space Station.
  8. The drug quinine is derived   the ground up bark of the cinchona tree, originally found in Peru.
  9. Scientists are worried that a new breed of super-rat is emerging that is immune   every kind of rat poison currently available.
  10. This week a senior government finance minister was forced to resign when he became implicated   a ‘cash for influence’ scandal.
  11. In the UK there is currently no restriction   the number of passengers you can carry on a bicycle whereas cars and motorbikes are restricted in this way.
  12. Students studying in a UK language school now need to show evidence of progress in order to be eligible   an extension to their student visas.


Advanced Grammar: Phrases with Prepositions
For each sentence, choose the best word or phrase to complete the gap from the choices below.
  1. I can’t concentrate. I’ve got a lot   my mind at the moment.
  2. Can you help me? I’m   a bit of a fix.
  3. If you like sport, this is a great place. There’s a lot to choose   .
  4. Please be quiet, I’m trying to concentrate   my book.
  5. I’ve got to be careful what I eat. Lots of things don’t agree   me.
  6.   my mind, what we need in this company is a better marketing plan.
  7. Don’t worry. The doctor is   his way. He’ll be here in a minute.
  8. I think Pat’s really sweet. I could easily become very fond   her.
  9. I haven’t met Simon, but I’ve heard a lot   him.
  10. We’re not allowed to drink while we’re   duty.
  11. You should try to be there   six o’clock at the latest.
  12. What he said reminded me   the kind of thing my father used to say,

No comments:

Post a Comment

বালিয়া মসজিদ জ্বীনের মসজিদ  স্থানীয়ভাবে এবং লোকমুখে জ্বীনের মসজিদ নামে পরিচিত এ মসজিদটির প্রকৃত নাম ‘বালিয়া মসজিদ’। জমিদার মেহের বকস চৌধুরী ...