19 August 2011

Sentence Skills

Instructions:  Unscramble the words to create a sentence.  Pay attention to punctuation and capital letters. You need to add commas in some sentences.
1. day/ life/ my/ in/ busy/ typical/ a/  is/ usually/ a/ day/
2. home/ school/  I / things/ do/ many/ at /  work/ and/ at/ at/
3.  typical/ 7:00 o’clock/  my/ day/ begins/ normally/ at
4.  time/ get/ up/  this/ the/ is/ morning/ every/I
5.  brush/ shower/ take/ teeth/ a/ my/ getting up/  I / after/ and/
6.  breakfast/ showering/ after/ have/  I/
7.  school/ breakfast/ leave/  I/  for/ after/
8.  arrive/  at/ school/ at/  I/  at/ 9:00 A.M./ Mondays/ on
9.  class/ go/ to/ from/ to/  I/ 9:25 A.M./ 12:05 P.M./
10.  lunch/  I/ have/ 12:30P.M./ at/ almost/ day/ every/
11. lunch/ after/ class/ last/ to/ go/ my/  I/ ends
12.  class/  after/ go/  I/ to/ work/ my/ ends
13. work/  I/ a/ hours/ three/ day/ but/  at/ study/ night/ I/
14.  work/ store/ shoe/ a/ in/  I/ day/ every/
15.  work/ do/ home/ after/ you / come/ ?
16. dinner/ have/  I/  homework/  do/ ,/ sleep/ to/ go/ and/ my/
17. usually/ day/ have/ I / busy/  very/ a/ work/ school/ home/ at/ at/ at/ and/ 

 

What is a sentence?

A sentence is a group of words that ...
  • begins with a capital letter
  • contains a subject (except imperatives)
  • contains a verb
  • contains one complete idea (an independent clause)
  • ends with a punctuation mark
You are going to learn how to write sentences step by step.  To learn about subjects, you need to know nouns and pronouns.  To write verbs correctly, you need to know regular and irregular forms of the tenses.  To learn what an independent clause is (and what it is NOT), you need to learn about fragments and run-on sentences and how to avoid them.  

Basic Sentence Patterns

In this lesson, you will learn the elements of a sentence.  There are 5 basic sentence patterns in English.  Before we start this lesson (or after class in the lab), go to these 5 websites.    Click the buttons on the screen at each site to see sentences with these patterns.
  
Source: faculty.mdc.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment

বালিয়া মসজিদ জ্বীনের মসজিদ  স্থানীয়ভাবে এবং লোকমুখে জ্বীনের মসজিদ নামে পরিচিত এ মসজিদটির প্রকৃত নাম ‘বালিয়া মসজিদ’। জমিদার মেহের বকস চৌধুরী ...